"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn
Please call or email to make an appointment with your counselor if you have any questions or concerns.
College Night 2018: Looking Ahead to High School, College, Careers, and Beyond!!!
Indian Hills and Draper Park Middle School Students - Combined Special Event!
We invite EVERY student in grades 6, 7 & 8 and their parents/guardians to join us for COLLEGE NIGHT 2018: Looking Ahead to High School, College, Career and BEYOND! on September 19.
This combined event will be held at Draper Park Middle School from 6-7:30 pm.
Please note that this event has a keynote speaker with breakout sessions (not open house style). Some of the breakout sessions will include: CTEC, High School counselors from Corner Canyon and Alta, Coping/Stress, NCAA, Self-Care for College, social media apps you should know, preparing for college, and more!
It is never too early to start planning for college, careers, and creating dreams for your future. Come join us to get information about high school and beyond, including meeting some local college reps! In addition, you can enter to win one of several prizes for participating.
6:00pm Welcome – Draper Park Auditorium 6:05pm Keynote: Panel of Seniors from Corner Canyon & Alta
6:20pm Session 1 Breakouts & College Information 6:40pm Session 2 Breakouts & College Information 7:00pm Session 3 Breakouts & College Information
7:20pm Prize Selection – Draper Park Cafeteria/Commons Area
"Non-Traditional Career" Summit 2018-19 for 8th Grade Students
Canyons School District is hosting a career event to inspire 8th grade students at SLCC Miller Campus on Tuesday, September 25. Dynamic speakers will talk about opportunities in non-traditional careers!
Students will leave at 8:30 AM and return by 11:00 AM. Thirty (30) students from each Middle School will be selected to attend. They will ride a bus and be excused from school.
Come to the Student Center to pick up the Application and Bus Authorization Forms before September 19th. Space is limited, so sign up soon!
Translation Services Available
Interpreter and translation services are available upon request. Please call the Counseling Center secretary to arrange for an interpreter/translator. 801-826-7120
School Counselor Week Reflection
A couple of our Canyons District counselors were on Good Things Utah talking about how parents can help their students be successful and prepare for College & Career Readiness. Check it out HERE.
5 Things School Counselors Want Parents to Know:
1. Teach your kids how to study: How many of you ask you kids if they have homework? There is always something they can read, study and prepare for.
2. Support your kids in becoming resilient: Allow them to grow and succeed on their own merit. Tell them they can do hard things. Every student is at a different level of challenge.
3. Be supportive & proactive in your kid’s education: Know who their teachers are and how to contact them. Know how to use your school’s web based grading system. Check your child’s grades regularly. Understand the importance of daily attendance.
4. Use your resources: Your School Counselor is your #1 resource
5. It is never to early to start preparing for College and Career Readiness: There’s is a path for every student in Utah after high school. Let your counselor help you explore your options.
First Generation College Students
Please call your counselor if you would like your student will be a first-generation college graduate - and if you would like him/her to participate in this group. The Counseling Center number can be found at the top of this page.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.